My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 76 - Tuesday March 17th 2009

We watched Milk tonight, it was a fantastic movie, and makes me really sad that this country has a very recent history of passing anti-discrimination laws and then repealing them following public votes.

(I am reasonably new to the country and so believe that it is somewhat valid to be finding out about recent history through hollywood)

I used to believe the referendums were the simple/fair way to make descisions in a democracy, but with the proposition 8 situation (and seeing, through Milk, that the recent Prop 8 debacle is nothing new) I can't help thinking that the majority can not be trusted to make descisions about the how the minorities live, especially when that 'living' does not grant them the same basic rights and protections that the members of the majority take for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home